Monday, February 25, 2019

Fear Not


Doing something new is often scary.  We, as humans, seem to be wired to avoid change.  We want to keep things the same, even if that means staying in a painful or mediocre situation.  As Suzy Kassem says “Fear kills more dreams than failure ever will.”  Fear and insecurity definitely keep many of us from ever pursuing our dreams.

So, what is it about fear?  Let’s look at the various types to unmask their power.  

First is the almost universal fear of failure.  So many people don’t want to take a chance of falling that they never even walk toward their dreams.  The truth is that no one is a success the first time they try something new.  We all need practice and experience.  In fact, all successful people have failed.  The difference is that they learned from it and kept going.  In this way failure is a step toward success.  Avoiding failure just means you are on the bench rather than in the game.  So, don’t let the fear of failure stop you.  Pursue your dream despite the fear.  Be willing to fall down, get up, and try again.

Another common fear is called imposter syndrome.  We think we are not important enough to be achieving this dream.  We feel undeserving and unworthy. I imagine Joshua felt that way when Moses died and he was given the job of leading the Israelites into the Promise Land.  Can you hear him saying, “Lord, who am I?  I didn’t split the Red Sea. I didn’t receive the Ten Commandments.  I can’t do this.”  God’s responds in Joshua 1.9. “...Be strong and courageous.  Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”  That is still His message to us today.  We can face an uncertain future knowing that God is with us each step of the way.  If He has given you the talent and the passion to pursue a dream, then He is there to help you make it come true.  Josua overcame his fears, and he got to see the walls of Jericho fall.

My personal nemesis is the fear of criticism.  I don’t want to try something new, do it wrong, and face criticism from my peers.  I tend to interpret critical remarks as rejection.  If people don’t like me, then I feel worthless.  At least that’s how I felt most of my life.  In recent years I finally came to realize that my self-worth does not rely on what other people say.  I was born with God-given value that no one can take away.  Now when I face criticism, I have a choice.  If I think it is valid and worthwhile, I can use these comments to improve my work.  If I don’t agree with the critic, I can dismiss their comments and move on.  I get to choose.

In the end, we all get to choose.  Do we listen to the voice of fear or do we move into unfamiliar territory and let God guide us to an abundant life?  God’s voice will never tell you that you are inferior or worthless or a failure.  His voice is the one cheering you on.  He is the one reminding you that He gave you talents that the world needs, and He is empowering you to use them.  His voice will always lead you on the right path, so push your fears to the back and keep running toward your dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment